Sunday, October 20, 2013

It's Snowing!

Every time it snows, I think of this scene in the movie "Hook".  It has been snowing all day today in Minot.  Not the kind of snow that sticks to the ground or anything, but the kind of snow that marks the beginning of winter and cold weather.

My mom said I should write down the date and the fact that it is snowing in Minot for the first time since I moved here.  I asked her why and she said "You'll forget so much of what happened in your first year living on your own."

She's probably right, she usually is.  And she got me thinking about all the things that have happened to my since I left Valpo in May.  The day to day life can sometimes a struggle, but overall things are looking pretty good.

I haven't posted much since moving here.  I've been pretty busy.  My work schedule can literally change by the hour, though usually I have at least a day of notice.  Usually.  I am still the only person in my office, there is also a surveyor based out of the Minot office, but he is very rarely actually in the office.  The company is hoping to hire some other people up here soon, just gotta find people who are willing to come to ND, and more specifically Minot.

I have made friends with my coworkers, and I fairly regularly go down to Bismarck to spend time with them on the weekend.  They are fun to be around (and they will be the first to tell you that they are awesome).  They have introduced me to some other people and we get along pretty well.  I don't wanna speak too soon, but I can see us being friend for a while.

It's taken a while, but I am finally starting to build a support base here in Minot.  I have been going to a UCC church here, I am not always crazy about the service, but the people are wonderful.  The 20-something population of this church has grown significantly since I started going in May.  That's been a pretty good place to meet people.

I also found the local running store and was able to volunteer to work a water station during the local half marathon.  While volunteering I met another former collegiate swimmer, (whose mother is an avid runner, sound familiar?) and now she and I both coach for one of the local club teams.

Those are just some of the things I have been up to in the past five months.  I will try to post more often in the coming months!

No comments:

Post a Comment