Friday, February 22, 2013

Lunch Ladies

Lunch Ladies are wonderful people.  Especially at Valpo.  We have some of the most wonderful Lunch Ladies I have ever met.  Madonna, both Marianne's, Gail, Linda, Marie, Lydia just to name a few.  These wonderful ladies act as stand ins for moms and grandmas, aunts and sisters.  When my family is too far away I know I will be able to count on the Lunch Ladies to brighten my day.

I first stared to connect with the Lunch Ladies freshman year.  Everyday when I went through the line to buy my meal, I would have a three second interaction with them.  Usually it was just handing over my meal card to pay and then getting it back.  It took me about a month or so to even realize that their names were on their stations, given that the names were on  the screen that only they could see, but the names were there nonetheless.

There were three ladies who I really remember from my freshman year.  One was Lydia.  She walked with a limp, always worked the middle register and absolutely loved the swimmers.  One of the older swimmers introduced me to her, and we became fast friends.  I knew her by name, and she knew me.  We would talk during our three second interactions and it would brighten my day.

Marie was another fantastic woman.  She worked in the kitchen part of the cafeteria and was the one who passed food to us.  She called everyone baby or honey and always had a smile.  Once I found out her name we started playing a game.  One of us would tell the other to "Have a Good Day" and the other would respond with "You Have a Better One".  That in itself would make the day better.

Another lady was Madonna.  Madonna is one of my favorites but when I first met her she always looked so unhappy at work, so one day I decided to try and make her smile.  I noticed that she wore these really cute pink glasses, so that day I mentioned it to her.  She immediately brightened up, I even got a smile!  Ever since then we have gotten along really well.  She gives me a hug when she's not behind the register and sometimes tells me stories about her kids and grand-kids if the line isn't too long.

As my years at Valpo have passed, Lunch Ladies change jobs, or change shifts.  Some have moved on to other locations and new ones have come in.  I have had great interactions with all the ladies who work in the Cafeteria at Valpo.  One lady had half a bottle of swimmer specific shampoo from back when her daughter swam which she passed on to me, and another put me in contact with a friend of hers to help me find a job.  A few have even come to watch a swim meet on their day off.

Anyway, the reason I bring up these wonderful ladies today is that they really truly care about us students.  Last week I was really struggling with the end of swim season that is approaching.  I came into the cafeteria to get breakfast and it was clear that I had been crying.  Gail rang up my meal, but Marianne saw me looking upset.  Later that week Madonna asked me how I was doing.  I explained to her that I was sad about the season ending soon.  Today, Marianne asked me how I was doing, she was really worried about me when she saw me upset.

I so appreciate the caring and the support that the Lunch Ladies at Valpo provide.  I think they are often underrated and under-appreciated but I for one love them and am so happy that they show up everyday to take care of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment