Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Social Support

It is becoming more and more common in our society to talk about the social aspects of things.  Social Networking, (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc), and cell phones are just some of the ways that we can stay connected to the people who we care about and who care about us.

This week marks the end of my career as a collegiate swimmer and I cannot tell you how much support I have been getting through the more electronic sources.

A couple days ago on Facebook I posted "Back in Chicago for Conference 2013.  Thinking about the first one three years ago.  Missing my upperclassmen from back then, but looking forward to a good meet this week with my underclassmen."  I then tagged all my upperclassmen girls in the post.  The response from them was awesome.  So many of them I have not talked to in months, but they immediately posted back, telling me "Good Luck" and "Enjoy the Meet".

I also received countless phone calls and texts throughout the day from all the girls who used to swim with me.  It meant so much to me to have these ladies supporting me from across the country as if they were on deck with me.

One of the most interesting social supporters that I have is a guy who used to swim for Valpo.  I think I have actually met this guy a total of two times.  He was four years older than me, so he graduated Valpo at the same time I graduated high school.  Our connection is Butterfly, the stroke.  He was a Butterflier, just like me.

He has followed my college career closely.  I did well freshman year, but have been struggling to get back to those times since then.  He knows.  He watches the results of every meet.  Sophomore year after conference he Facebook messaged me because he had seen that I had swum faster during the season than at conference, the final meet.  He literally just messaged me to tell an experience of his from college and give me some encouragement/motivation for junior year.  I saved that conversation and still look back on it when I get really down.

He is still watching.  (I realize that sounds a bit creepy, but trust me, it so is not).  Today I posted about it being my three year anniversary with my boyfriend.  He quickly commented back saying "YOU SHOULD BE FOCUSED ON SWIMMING FAST NOT ON YOUR BOYFRIEND."  Probably true.  Even though this was not the response I was expecting for that post, I actually really enjoy knowing that he is watching out for me and my swimming.

Regardless of who is watching, it is always wonderful to know that there is someone cheering for me.  Whether they are across the pool or across the country I love having people around to support me and the social aspect of my support system increases the amount of people that I have at all times supporting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment